Total Pageviews

Monday, January 14, 2013

Think. Speak. Discover.


We all do this thing in different ways, and I suppose in some parallel universe it’s all good. I’m into rehearsals now for “Fault Lines,” my latest play (details below) and I had a question, well, two questions from a cast member. One was a legit question about the nature and validity of the character. The actor wanted/needed an explanation in order to go ahead and play the character. Second question (which came after the first issue) was: Was it okay to ask for elucidation? Or was it solely the actor’s job to find whatever there was to be discovered? What was on the page. Was it her job to construct a way to play it when she couldn’t find a clear explanation? Was it played straight or farcically?

I responded that yes, it was fine, nay, encouraged her to ask me questions. This is a first production, and part of my system is to work out whatever kinks might be in the play through getting the damn thing up on stage to see if it works or not. The actors and director will (hopefully) point out things I may have missed, or phrase things in a way that lets me see ways to improve or fix a script. What matters, and what ONLY matters, is the play itself.

Her point, though, which caught me up, was: is she allowed to question at all?

And I thought, Cripes. There must be places where it is frowned upon to approach the playwright with critical questions about their work.  And then I thought: I hope I never work in one of those places.

(Which is a moot point; the only places I’m working right now are of my own design. But that’s neither there nor here.)

But really? Having done Shakespeare a few times, I’m well aware that actors frequently ask about a character’s purpose, mode of expression, point of existing, desires, needs, wants, tactics. And that’s flippin’ Shakespeare! Arguably the best playwright EVER. 

Some actors believe (are taught) that when you say yes to doing a part, you accept it whole. I’ve heard this from vastly experienced, unbelievably talented actors, names you’d recognize unless you’ve been living in a box. And every time it jabs me; who the hell swallows anything whole? No questions? Okay, yeah, there are those who just follow and obey. But no right to question? Sod that puppy for a game of soldiers.

It’s not a question of showing respect for the playwright. 97.46% of my experiences as a director or playwright were effulgent with respect from my colleagues. Part of respect is when an actor or director can come to you with a question that’s bothering them. “Maybe it’s me, but…it’s probably me, but…”

Theatre is collaborative. That means we work together to produce a play, help someone remember lines, discuss motivation, paint a set. And yes, write the damn script. Could be it’s just me that relies on outside help, but I believe in road testing, workshopping, taking advantage of every opportunity to improve the work. And there’s no better way to discover the things in your play that could be improved that to have a smart, dedicated, thinking actor or director in your corner.

And yes, the promised details:


“Fault Lines” by George Sapio
Venue: Fall Creek Studios, 1201 N. Tioga St., Ithaca 14850
(adjacent to the former Fall Creek Pictures complex)
Friday, March 15 @ 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, March 16 @ 7:00 p.m.
Sunday, March 17 @ 3:00 p.m.
Friday, March 22 @ 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, March 23 @ 7:00 p.m.
Sunday, March 24 @ 3:00 p.m.With: Holly Adams, Lauren Boehm, Brett Bossard, Maura Stephens The show is directed by Camilla Schade Stage manager: AJ Sage
Tickets are $12 general admission, $10 students and seniors, and available through the Ticket Center (171 The Commons. Monday - Thursday, 11 AM - 7 PM; Friday & Saturday, 11 AM - 7:30 PM. 607.273.4497) With: Holly Adams, Lauren Boehm, Brett Bossard, Maura Stephens The show is directed by Camilla Schade Stage manager: AJ Sage Tickets are $12 general admission, $10 students and seniors, and available through the Ticket Center (171 The Commons. Monday - Thursday, 11 AM - 7 PM; Friday & Saturday, 11 AM - 7:30 PM. 607.273.4497) Tickets are $12 general admission, $10 students and seniors, and available through the Ticket Center (171 The Commons. Monday - Thursday, 11 AM - 7 PM; Friday & Saturday, 11 AM - 7:30 PM. 607.273.4497)

Performance dates:

No comments:

Post a Comment